I punctured the top of my foot with a nail

Patient

Q: I punctured the top of my foot with a nail and now it's red and swollen and has a little pain

Symptoms:  Swollen and redness
Doctor

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

Clean off the wound and call your doctor to see if you need antibiotics to prevent infection and if your tetanus immunizations are up to date.Take over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve swelling and redness.
Rusty nails can carry tetanus. Although tetanus is very, very rare it is almost always fatal. A simple tetanus booster every five years for clean wounds or every ten years for dirty ones, is all that is needed. (Unless of course you have never been immunized against tetanus. For those individuals an additional treatment would be necessary.) Talk to your doctor.

Hope this helps. Take care.