I received a one hour deep tissue massage yesterday and

Patient

Q: I received a one hour deep tissue massage yesterday and emerged with a very swollen top lip. I am not known to be allergic to foods or lotions and am not on any medication other than Nuvaring. I took a Benadryl but the swelling has not gone down 12 hours later and my eye is now also swollen. My throat and breathing was not affected.

Symptoms:  Swollen lips and eye
I received a one hour deep ...-1
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

The swelling that you are describing seems to angioedema. It is most likely that this is allergic in nature. The allergen will cause a release of some toxins or cytokines from the cells. One of these is histamine which will cause swelling and the edema that you can see.

Angioedema is common around the eyes and especially the upper eyelid and the upper lip. This is why you are getting it around that area. You have correctly taken Benadryl for this which is a antihistamine. Benadryl tablets would be marginally better than the syrup.

I think it is best if you wait another 12 hours as long as you do not have difficulty breathing, fever or palpitations. If you have any of these, please see a Doctor as soon as possible.

Also, you can try icing the area for 10 minutes at a time to reduce the swelling. Hope this helps you.

All the best.