I recently got a blood test and tested positive for

Patient

Q: I recently got a blood test and texted positive for HSV-1. I don't know how and I'm not overly promiscuous and never had any symptoms but is this something I should be concerned about or see someone for?

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

It depends on the type of antibody that is positive. If you're IGM HSV-1 positive, it indicates a current infection, and you can pass it to your partner. However, a lot of people have IGG HSV-2 positive in case of which, only during episodes of infectivity the infection can be transmitted. If there are open sores, you need to be careful.

It is a chronic viral infection, and medicines won't help.
If you do not have symptoms, then you do not need to worry.

Hope this was helpful,