I recently had a reaction to eating a dessert that
Patient :I recently had a reaction to eating a dessert that contained pistachios. I believe the reaction was what is categorized as "Oral" because it was just my mouth and face that got all tingly, itchy and flushed. That reaction reminded me that when I was a baby my parents were told I was allergic to nuts, eggs, and dairy even though I've been eating all of those foods for most of my adult life. (I'm not a big nut eater, except for crunchy peanut butter. The only reaction to those foods I remember having as a child was after eating some mixed nuts at Christmas projectile vomiting all over the kitchen). Given this recent reaction I wanted to know if I should get retested. When I went to my doctor he felt there wasn't much cause for concern. He pointed out that I could've reacted to the green dye in the Jello just as easily. He said that people can have reactions to various things and then be just fine with it the next time. He said that people can get carried away with the results of allergy tests and can test positive to an allergy for something they either eat or come into contact with everyday with no reactions whatsoever. Still the reaction made me wonder if I shouldn't get tested anyway; I've heard that some allergic reactions can manifest in psoriasis or eczema instead of a reaction like mine and I do have psoriasis.
Symptoms: When the reaction occurred, I had a tingling sensation all over my face. My teeth, gums, and tongue all felt extremely itchy, and my face was flushed red.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.