Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I recently had my annual Pap smear

I recently had my annual Pap smear

Patient: I recently had my annual Pap smear, and it came back abnormal. My boyfriend and I have had sex 3 times since my pap and I’ve noticed it hurts during intercourse, then feels dry and itchy down there afterwards. It also seems to hurt in my ovaries. Should I tell my gynecologist this when I go back for my follow up?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.An abnormal pap smear could mean an infection, inflammation or a premalignant condition which could lead to present symptoms. If you have discomfort after intercourse, it could be any of the above causes and needs immediate attention. A pelvic inflammatory disease could also be possible. Consult your doctor and you may need to undergo a high vaginal swab test, as well as an ultrasound. A colposcopy may also be needed if the doctor feels so. You may need antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs in case of an infection. Till then avoid unprotected intercourse. Drink plenty of water and maintain personal hygiene.Hope this helped.Regards