I recently had my annual Pap smear

Patient : I recently had my annual Pap smear, and it came back abnormal. My boyfriend and I have had sex 3 times since my pap and I've noticed it hurts during intercourse, then feels dry and itchy down there afterwards. It also seems to hurt in my ovaries. Should I tell my gynecologist this when I go back for my follow up?
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. An abnormal pap smear could mean an infection, inflammation or a premalignant condition which could lead to present symptoms. If you have discomfort after intercourse, it could be any of the above causes and needs immediate attention. A pelvic inflammatory disease could also be possible. Consult your doctor and you may need to undergo a high vaginal swab test, as well as an ultrasound. A colposcopy may also be needed if the doctor feels so. You may need antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs in case of an infection. Till then avoid unprotected intercourse. Drink plenty of water and maintain personal hygiene. Hope this helped. Regards

Related Q&A

Q: Hello...I am a 62 yr old woman. Four years ago I had spotting. Had a vaginal ultrasound, it was normal, stripe was 5m...

Q: 43 year female. 25 year smoker. on advair vitamin d iron and zyrtec. just finished clindamycin and prednisone for sin...

Q: Had a pap smear 3 days ago and Dr used a large speculum and left it hanging for a few seconds... Then she removed and...

Q: I am s/p breast cancer X 3 years. 61 yo. Dx of herpes with Abnormal pap smear in May 2014. Since then, 2 abnormal ...

Q: What is a pap smear? do they hurt? what do OB/GYNs do and do they hurt and what do they chck


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon