Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I recently had sex a week ago, on Wednesday

I recently had sex a week ago, on Wednesday

Patient: I recently had sex a week ago, on Wednesday my period began (small amount of blood) then it has turn into brown discharge. I last had a period in February. Is this normal?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.A little bit of irregularity in periods can occur due to ma ny causes.Sometimes menstrual flow can start as spotting or brown discharge and can turn into normal flow.So, better to wait for few days.If spotting persists and if you are having doubt regarding pregnancy, please go for urine pregnancy test two weeks after intercourse to find out the possibility of pregnancy.Take care