I recently participated in my first crossfit workout I don't

Patient

Q: I recently participated in my first crossfit workout. I don't normally work out so I expected to be sore afterwards. The day after the workout I was able to walk for an hour with just minor discomfort but on the second day I was experiencing 8/10 pain in my abdominal region anytime I attempted to straighten my back, it was also difficult for me to walk due to the pain in my hamstrings. Today is the fourth day post workout and the pain has greatly subsided but I noticed yesterday that my abdomen was swollen. After reading some articles online, I am now concerned it might be rhabdomyolysis. I have been voiding regularly and my urine is yellow to clear but my abdomen is swollen enough that I cannot zip my pants. I only have one kidney so I'm wondering if my symptoms are to be expected after an intense workout or if I should go to the ER?

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
Since you never worked out before, pain and muscle tightness is expected after such a heavy workout. However, it should be relieved by simple painkillers like Tylenol or Ibuprofen.

Regarding the abdominal swelling, I will advise you to get an ultrasound whole abdomen done to be on the safer side, because it is not common especially from working-out. Sometimes muscles do get strained and minor swelling is expected in the muscle affected, but you mentioned you can't zip your pants, and the swelling sounds substantially big for that to happen.

Rhabdomyolysis can't be diagnosed without dark urine. So do not worry about that, however, please do get the ultrasound done to be on the safer side. Also, you can apply Diclofenac gel locally on the site of the pain, and take Ibuprofen 400 mg 2-3 times daily after food, under the care of your physician to control the pain.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.