Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I recently spent 10 days in the Amazon jungle I

I recently spent 10 days in the Amazon jungle I

Patient: I recently spent 10 days in the Amazon jungle. I am covered in mosquito bites, I was bit far more than anyone in my group. Someone in another group who had been there a few days before we arrived was suspected to have malaria and was taken to the hospital on the day I left so I never confirmed if he in fact had malaria but all the symptoms were there. My question is…do you think it’s a good idea for me to start some medicine now to be safe or wait to see if I have any symptoms? Thank you very much

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.The Amazon jungle has a high prevalence of malaria, so even prophylactically, I will advise you to consult a local physician and start on Chloroquine or Quinine prophylaxis. They do not cause any side effects, and hence anyone with a possibility of malaria can receive the prophylactic 3-day course.Since you’re covered in mosquito bites, it seems a logical option.Hope this was helpful,Regards