I run track, and I hurt my ankle/foot a couple

Patient

Q: I run track, and I hurt my ankle/foot a couple months ago, at the start of the outdoor season. I still don't know exactly what caused the injury; a spot on my foot just started hurting after a race. The pain moved to my ankle within a couple of days, and the athletic trainer figured I had a sprain, so I did some rehab exercises, got my ankle taped before running, and finished the season with some moderate improvement. I expected the pain to go away completely after I stopped running, but it hasn't. It has moved back to the original spot, on the outside of my foot. There is a different spot slightly away from where the pain is located that is a bit swollen. There is also a bump on the front of my ankle that sends a tingling feeling through my foot when I run my fingers over it, but I haven't had any pain there. What might I have injured, and what should I do for it?

Symptoms:  Foot and ankle pain, swelling
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are likely to be having ankle sprain. You need rest, splint and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. You can take x-ray of ankle joint to rule out fracture of the ankle.Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.