I run track, and I hurt my ankle/foot a couple

Patient : I run track, and I hurt my ankle/foot a couple months ago, at the start of the outdoor season. I still don't know exactly what caused the injury; a spot on my foot just started hurting after a race. The pain moved to my ankle within a couple of days, and the athletic trainer figured I had a sprain, so I did some rehab exercises, got my ankle taped before running, and finished the season with some moderate improvement. I expected the pain to go away completely after I stopped running, but it hasn't. It has moved back to the original spot, on the outside of my foot. There is a different spot slightly away from where the pain is located that is a bit swollen. There is also a bump on the front of my ankle that sends a tingling feeling through my foot when I run my fingers over it, but I haven't had any pain there. What might I have injured, and what should I do for it?
Symptoms:  Foot and ankle pain, swelling
Doctor :   Hello Thank you for posting your query on ATD. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are l ikely to be having ankle sprain. You need rest, splint and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. You can take x-ray of ankle joint to rule out fracture of the ankle.Hope your query get answered. Wishing you a good health. Take care.