I shaved my pubic area two days ago

Patient

Q: I shaved my pubic area two days ago and afterwards and noticed a small painless bump. The razor I used was quite dull though and I didn't exactly take my time. I also went over that same area several times. I am still scared it could be genital warts. I am sexually active with my boyfriend of 1 year and do not use protection because I am on birth control. The bump is smooth and there is only one.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

After using a razor on the surface of skin, you may get rash or pimple like structures because of local injury. These are small cuts that occur due to the razor. The cuts will cause release of histamine from the mast cells. This will cause the swelling of the skin along with redness and itching.

You can take tablet Levocetirizine to help reduce the itching. Also, do not let hair grow too much the next time you use a razor. Shave against the grain and use a moisturising cream after shaving for best results. I hope this helps you. All the best.