I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk I fell

Patient

Q: I slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk. I fell forward and onto my purse. It felt as if I'd broken a rib and my legs, neck and back were hurting really bad after I go over the shock and embarrassment. I have to climb 7 flight of stairs to get to my work station and everyday I climbed the worst my back and knees hurt, mostly my back. After a few months I could not take the pain anymore and could barely walk due to the pain in my back. I am now getting injections in my spine to help my have somewhat of a normal life. The MRI showed a bulge in my L4 and L5. I am taking these injections every 2-3 months for a little over a year now. After an injection in January I was pretty sore and bent over as I walked. My gait had changed significantly. I walked to my kitchen and my knee popped. This pain continued with every step. I wound up getting scoped and they found some arthritis deterioration. My knee and back are still hurting so terribly. Will this get better? Does a slip on ice normally cause this type of injury and my knee problem caused from my back?

Symptoms:  Popping sensation in my knee when bent and horrific lower back pain which goes down to my ankle
Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Before I can comment I will like to see your MRI. You can contact the support team and they can forward it to me. Disc bulging can cause severe back pain, however with strengthening exercises and physiotherapy it improves over time. The knee could be paining because of excessive weight bearing since the back has not been able to carry it properly.

To understand how severe it is I will request you to forward the MRI report or you can even type it in the follow up. That will be of great help. Just the impression will be enough. But I can assure you, it does improve over time because slipping in the ice walk should not cause such a severe injury.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.