I smoked 15 cig a day for 10 years I

Q: I smoked 15 cig a day for 10 years... I have urine cotinine test for life insurance . I will have not smoked for 9 days prior to test and smoked 4 cig a day for 5 days prior to abstaining for the the 9 days...I'm male 40 yr old, exercise regularly, and healthy no medical issues and drink 100oz of water daily... will i pass the urine test,?

A:   Hi,

Thanks for your query.

Noted the history of smoking 15 Cigarettes a day for 10 years, and stopped smoking as explained for the urine cotinine test.

Since you have stopped smoking for 9 days prior to test and 4 cigarettes per day for the 5 days prior to abstaining to 9 days window, you may possibly pass the test.

It takes about 2-4 days for light smoker and about 7 days for heavy smoker for negative cotinine test in the usual circumstances.

I hope this answers your query.

Patient: what is the cut off level used in urine testing to detect cotinine, i understand it to be bellow 200ng/ml? is that considered non smoking threshold
Doctor: Yes, one step rapid drug screen test has the cut off of 200 ng/ml of urine - non-smoking threshold.
Patient: What is considered average amount of cotinine in urine of a pack a day cig smoker...more or less then 8000 ng/ml?
Doctor: This is unpredictable as the measurements depends upon so many factors like your age, depth of smoking/inhalation, which cigarette one smokes, the metabolism is different in every person.
Hence not many of the conclusive evidence.
I hope this answers your query.
This is the second allowable follow-up, you may please ask for a fresh new query if you want to have more knowledge or have any other queries and give reference ID of 502466.
Take care.
Stop smoking as you already have.
All the best.