I smoked marijuana while pregnant, will this show up on a blood test?

Patient

Q: Im 8 weeks pregnant and just found out. I had been smoking pot due to having a high metabolism I cannot gain weight like a regular person and smoking pot helps me have a appetite. im worried the first drug test I will fail and they will report to cps will they be involved the entire pregnancy just for one failed test?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Smoking marijuana during pregnancy is not safe and it may affect the baby’s growth and development of the nervous system. The children may also have problems with short term memory, concentration and judgment. But since you say that, you smoked as you did not realize you were pregnant it is advisable to be frank to your practitioner about your use of marijuana as she may want to use extra tests to be sure your baby is developing normally. It is always advisable to stop smoking, alcohol use when planning to conceive.
Hope that answers your queries.
Have a good day.