Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I sprained my ankle a little over 13 years ago

I sprained my ankle a little over 13 years ago

Patient: I sprained my ankle a little over 13 years ago and it still bothers me today. My parents didn’t take me to the doctor. I stayed home from school for about a week and I thought it healed on it’s own. Is it too late to get an MRI or do anything about this?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.If you are able to walk and there is minimal pain, I do not think that you have a major injury. It is not a problem to get an MRI but if the foot is not causing any problem, then you would not want to get an MRI and then if there is an abnormality, you would have to decide to get it treated or not. That would put you in a bigger dillema. Compare both scenarios and then decide what you want. All the best.Hope this helps you.