Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I sprained my ankle a week ago

I sprained my ankle a week ago

Patient: I sprained my ankle a week ago, and now there’s a painful red spot on the top of my foot. I thought my air cast was rubbing, but I left it off for the day and the spot only got bigger. It’s bigger than a quarter in size and and a dark red in color. I can’t stand anything touching it. Should I be concerned about this?

I sprained my ankle a  week...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.On reviewing the image that you have attached along with your query and reading about t he symptoms that you have, it looks like a blood collection following the trauma. It will take a week’s time to settle down. It may even turn blue by the end of the day or in a couple of days. Avoid touching the area and give adequate rest to your ankle. Do not use any compression and you may take anti-inflammatory medications for this to settle down and a painkiller for pain relief. Also, consider consulting an orthopedic for an x-ray to rule out any internal injuries.Hope this helped.Regards