I started 21 day contraceptive pill During the first month,

Patient

Q: I started 21 day contraceptive pill. During the first month, I started taking it on day 7 of my cycle. Day 1 - periods start, Day 4 - it ends, Day 7 - start first pill. Today is Day 21 and I got my periods. I still have 7 pills left before the cycle is over. Why did I get my periods one week early? Also, should I finish the rest of the 7 pills while I am on my periods?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

You can wait to see if the next cycle is normal. If the next cycle is normal, then do not worry. It is also possible that the pills you took caused withdrawal bleeding.

You can also talk to a Doctor to understand the correct way to use the pills. Then, you should not have the irregular periods.

Hope this helps you. All the best.