Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I started taking a new birth control pill just over

I started taking a new birth control pill just over

Patient: I started taking a new birth control pill just over a week ago. In the past few days I have felt weak, had a quicker heart rate, and loss of appetite. Do you think it is the pill and should I stop taking it?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the queryMost of the times, on starting a birth control pill for the first time, women experience s ymptoms of nausea, vomiting, weakness, anxiety, mood swings, depression and palpitations, diarrhea, cramps etc.These are common side effects of the pill and would settle down with time.It generally takes about three cycles for the woman to completely get adjusted to the pill. Even menstrual changes in the pattern and flow can be a side effect.There is no need to stop the pills as of now, you may continue them.Keep a watch on the heart rate and blood pressure every now and then . in case there are significant changes over a week and more, see your doctor and consider other contraceptive options.Have a healthy diet and drink lots of water meanwhile.Hope this helped.Regards