I started taking birth control on a Sunday and was supposed to get my period on Wednesday.

Patient

Q: I started taking birth control on a Sunday and was supposed to get my period the Wednesday after that. I haven't gotten my period is that normal or should I be concerned? How fast does birth control stop a period?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

While using birth control pills some amount of irregularity in withdrawal bleeding can be seen.
Some women may have a delayed period and some women may have amenorrhea also.
This symptoms and period may differ from person to person.
To continue the protection towards pregnancy you have to use the pills as per the schedule irrespective of withdrawal bleeding.

Hope this helps.
Take care