Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I stopped taking the birth control pill about a month

I stopped taking the birth control pill about a month

Patient: I stopped taking the birth control pill about a month ago and on Wednesday had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and he finished inside of me. I have irregular periods and I only got it for a few days once I came off the pill (mid May)and haven’t had it since. what are the chances that I will get pregnant?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern. As you are not using any contraceptive measures, if you ovula ted around the period of intercourse, there is some possibility of pregnancy.To rule out the possibility of pregnancy, please go for urine pregnancy test two weeks after unprotected intercourse.Take care.