I suffer from recurring UTIs Tried Nitrofurantoin Didn't

Patient

Q: I suffer from recurring UTIs. Tried Nitrofurantoin. Didn't work. Currently on Bactrim -- I am at the beginning of day three of the bacterium -- I feel the symptoms are not improving and maybe getting worse. I have a prescription for CIPRO waiting for me at Rite Aid. If I do not feel better in a few hours, can I discontinue bactrim and begin cipro.

Symptoms:  Increased frequency of urination, constant feeling of needing to go, not able to empty bladder, depression, panic, anxiety, hopelessness.
Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
Bactrim is in fact a better drug than ciprofloxacin for recurrent UTIs.

Now I want to know whether a urine culture test was done for you.

Because changing antibiotics may not be sensible, and similarly starting a new one without urine culture may not be helpful.

So please let me know in the follow up.

Feel free to discuss further.