Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I swallowed a crown

I swallowed a crown

Patient: I swallowed a crown at 12:00 a.m. (cleanly, no coughing or choking) and intend to search for it. I had a bowel movement 14 hours later at 2:00 p.m. Thinking it would not be in my first movement, I did not bother to search. Now I’m reading that a foreign object can pass through the body in a few hours. What are the chances that the crown was in that first movement. Thanks.

 

 

Doctor: You mentioned that you swallowed a crown after which you had bowel movements after 14 hours. Usually a foreign body when swallowed, if uneventful will pass out in stools within 24 hours. So, mostly it might have passed in your bowel movement. Don’t worry as it might have passed or will pass in next bowel movement. But if you have any cramps consult a physician at an emergency at the nearest hospital as early as possible.

 


 

 
Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment