Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I take a metronidazole 500 mg and i had sex

I take a metronidazole 500 mg and i had sex

Patient: I take a metronidazole 500 mg and i had sex with my boyfriend this moring but the doctor that i went to go see said it wasnt a std i just had a bacterial infection what will happen to me???!

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually in vaginal infection, by taking vaginal swab cultur e and sensitivity the causative agent of infection and its sensitivity can be identified.Taking one tablet of metronidazole may not lead to much problem.Metronidazole can also be used in treating some bacterial infections.But to prevent cross infections both the partners should be treated simultaneously and till the completion of treatment better to avoid intercourse.Take care