Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I tested positive on home pregnancy tests 3 weeks ago.

I tested positive on home pregnancy tests 3 weeks ago.

Patient: I tested positive on home pregnancy tests 3 weeks ago, over the weekend I tested negative and started bleeding quite heavily with cramping on Sunday (6 days after my period was due)The bleeding continued until yesterday and it’s just spotting today. I took another pregnancy test tonight to see if it now showed not pregnant but it showed a positive line. I should be about 6 weeks pregnant now but believe I had an early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy. If so why is the test showing positive? I’ve tried a digital test and it said not pregnant but the lines of the early response tests are worrying me.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query at ATD.I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.A pregnancy test could be positive 5-6 weeks after miscarriage.To confirm wether you were pregnant or not or miscarriage occurs or not, you should get your beta HCG blood testing to see the level of hcg hormone.You can get your pelvic ultrasound to confirm wether you are pregnant or not.Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.Good luck.Regards