I therapeutically take Xanax for anxiety and depression Rece

Q: I therapeutically take Xanax for anxiety and depression. Recently I ingested roughly 30mg on Xanax and the typical therapeutic dose does little to nothing for me. Is this tolerance permanent? Or will I be able to use Xanax at therapeutic doses again in time?

Symptoms:  Increased anxiety

Thanks for writing to us.

Alprazolam/ xanax can be taken up to maximum dose of 8 - 10 mg in divided dose per day. More than that it can do harm to body by increasing racing thoughts, depressed mood, anxiety and sedation.
Alprazolam is a benzodiazepine which is not suffice for treating anxiety and moderate depression. There is a need to start antidepressants like Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, Sertraline etc which can make your mood better and relieve your anxiety. Benzodiazepines are generally given in low doses to relieve immediate anxiety and for sedation.They should not be used for either long term or large dosage.

It is advisable for you to visit your doctor so that he may add an antidepressant to your regimen so you don't need large dose of xanax and this is how even therapeutic dose would work for you.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to write back.

Patient: I appreciate the response! But more specifically, do you know if the tolerance/ dependency to the Xanax its self will go back to baseline if I refrain from using it for a long period of time?
Doctor: Hello
Thanks for writing back
Once drug is discontinued and then restarted tolerance will more likely go to baseline. Alternatively adding an antidepressant will also help you to readjust to low dose of Xanax.
Hope this helps
Patient: After tapering off a high dose of Xanax, how long will it take for the GABA receptors in my brain to return to normal function (excuse me I don't know the exact medical terms but I believe you get what I'm saying). -Thanks!
Doctor: Hello
Thanks for writing back
You might be able to get effect from low dose once again on discontinuing the drug and restarting after around 4 to 6 weeks.
Hope this helps
Feel free to write back