I think I am pregnant

Q: Hello. My period is 9 days late and I had taken a pregnancy test a few days ago and one line was dark and the other was a very faint line so I went to the family clinic and they took a urine test and I tested negative yet I have all the symptoms of pregnancy. I've never missed a period or been late before my period always starts on the 9th or 10th of the month and lasts for 4-5 days. My breasts are tender. They hurt and I have dizziness nausea heartburn gas and my stomach cramps here and there but it's not like a period cramp. The nurse said it might be that I'm too early in the pregnancy for the test to show up positive. I'm not sure why they didn't give me a blood test to make sure. But I'm still feeling pregnant. Should I go back to the doctor in a week and get tested again or should I go to a gynecologist? I don't see there any other reason for me experiencing these symptoms.

Symptoms:  Heartburn nausea breastfeeding tenderness late period gas dizziness tiredness

A:   A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. One such marker is human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), that is produced by the trophoblast cells of the fertilised ova (eggs). While hCG is a reliable marker of pregnancy, it cannot be detected until after implantation; this results in false negatives if the test is performed during the very early stages of pregnancy. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization. False negative readings can occur when testing is done too early. Quantitative blood tests and the most sensitive urine tests usually begin to detect hCG shortly after implantation, which can occur anywhere from 8 to 10 days after ovulation. Ovulation, in some women, may not occur at a predictable time in the menstrual cycle, however. A number of factors may cause an unexpectedly early or late ovulation. This holds true especially for women with a history of irregular menstrual cycles.
Sometimes the Urine Pregnancy Test kits take some time to detect the HCG in urine. Thus it is advisable to repeat the test at serial intervals more than once to confirm or negate pregnancy.
Some of the stomach problems you mentioned are common in pregnancy but in absence of it, these may be related to other medical problems. Please go back to your doctor to ease your discomforts while awaiting a repeat pregnancy test, and follow his advice.