Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I think I dislocated my knee two days ago = pain

I think I dislocated my knee two days ago = pain

Patient: Hello I think I dislocated my knee two days ago but I have not seen a doctor should I go to A&E because my knee is swollen and is very bruised I’m struggling to walk and I’m in a significant amount of pain I have tried using ice pack and I’m on strong painkillers but It wont go away. What will happen if I go? Will I get crutches or a brace or both?

Symptoms: Pain , bruising , swelling

I think I dislocated my kne...-1 I think I dislocated my kne...-1 I think I dislocated my kne...-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have severely sprained, dislocated or even ruptured a ligament within your knee. It is difficult to tell based on your pictures alone without any examination and diagnostic imaging. We strongly recommend that you go to your nearest emergency department immediately for evaluation of your knee. Depending on the type of injury, you may need to have a brace to support this injured knee and walk with crutches while it heals. Furthermore, you may need surgery, if in fact you have torn one of the ligaments of your knee joint. Please seek medical attention immediately.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com