I think I may have a yeast infection.

Patient: I think i may have a yeast infection and want to get started on any creams or medication, first consulting my doctor. I am 17 years old and my mother has no idea i am sexually active. How can i set an appt. with my doctor to get checked out without my mother’s knowledge? if not, are there any medications i can buy at a drugstore without a prescription, to take care of the problem?

Doctor: I understand your concern about possible yeast infection. Let me reassure that you could set an appointment with your pr imary care physician with total privacy. Yeast infections are the second most common reason for vaginal burning, itching, and discharge. Yeasts are normally found in the vagina of most women and can overgrow if the environment in the vagina changes. Antibiotic and steroid use is the most common reason for yeast overgrowth. But pregnancy, menstruation, sperm, diabetes, and birth control pills also can contribute to getting a yeast infection.Most women can treat yeast infections at home with over-the-counter medications such as Miconazole (Monistat-Derm, Monistat Vaginal), Tioconazole (Vagistat Vaginal), Butoconazole (Femstat) or Clotrimazole (Femizole-7,Gyne-Lotrimin). However I would suggest you to consult a physician to rule out other possibilities. I wish you a prompt recovery.