Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I think I may have appendicitis! I researched the symptoms

I think I may have appendicitis! I researched the symptoms

Patient: I think I may have appendicitis! I researched the symptoms & I have them all but throwing up. I had my gallbladder taken out & a hysterectomy.I have a fever, severe pains round my belly button, not eating, and I can’t stay off the toilet. Could it be appendicitis?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Note your history of cholecystectomy and Hysterectomy, and that you have pain around the umbilicus, fever, not eating and can’t stay off the toilet.These are most probably due to Gastroenteritis and not appendicitis.Get a 5-day course of an antibiotic, metronidazole, probiotic, symptomatic and supportive tablets and I hope you will be absolutely alright.If no complete relief, you may then go for tests of stool, urine, blood and ultrasonography.I hope this answer helps you.