I think I'm clinically depressed

Patient : About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with genital herpes. I thought I was over it, but I've realized I feel very depressed everyday and am almost always on the verge of crying at the drop of a dime. I feel empty, sad, blue, almost as if i put on a pair of depression glasses that make everything seem sad. nothing excites me or makes me feel happy. i don't know what to do and I do not have health insurance because I can not afford it.
Symptoms:  Sadness, emptyness, helplessness, crying
Doctor :   Hello Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query. The symptoms that you have mentioned suggest that you could be having a depression. Depression in young can present such atypically. The mood swings that you are describing are occurring due to imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. The neurotransmitters like serotonine, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine. You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult. Hope this helps, Wish you a good health.