Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I think I’m having an allergic reaction to a condom

I think I’m having an allergic reaction to a condom

Patient: I think I’m having an allergic reaction to a condom. There’s no discharge/odor, just dry and itchy and red at the opening. This happens to me a few years ago when I used the same brand condom. I just need to know how to fix it.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Condom allergies are common. The symptoms you have described are going in favour of a c ondom allergy or contact dermatitis. It causes severe itching, rashes and even burning sensation. Here are a few remedies to help you deal with it.Wash the area with plain water.Pat dry.You can apply a steroid based lotion over the area available over the counter.You must not use any cosmetics or soaps or lotions over the area. Calamine lotion can help to soothing the area.Wear loose cotton undergarments and avoid nylon ones.You can orally take a antihistamine tablet like citrezene to reduce the itch for a couple of nights before bed time.Anti inflammatory drugs also need to be taken orally for 5 days. This will reduce the allergy. Drink plenty of water as well daily.If it does not subside, you will have to consult a dermatologist personally for an examination and oral steroids if needed. Avoid similar condoms next time. Avoid perspiration and excessive masturbation too.Hope this helps.Feel free to contact us for further assistance.Regards

Patient: Is there any chance that it could be gonorrhea? I am aware I have 2 of the 4 most common symptoms in women for it.

Doctor: It is unlikely to be gonorrhea. A persistent discharge goes in favour of gonorrhea. However, kindly consult a doctor personally and get a std work up done.
Hope this helps .

Patient: What about a yeast infection?

Doctor: Yes. It could be a fungal infection but chances are remote as there is no discharge.