I thought I had cold but I have no runny

Patient: I thought I had cold but I have no runny nose, no sore throat, just a really bad cough. Over the weekend I had a fever followed with the chills and body aches. I saw a doctor yesterday and she said she did not know what was wrong with me. I am constantly coughing, every once in awhile I have green phglem come out, I have trouble breathing sometimes- when I breathe out it triggers something in my lungs and makes me cough outrageously. I can only take small tiny breaths.

Symptoms: Coughing, shortage of breath

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.Your history is suggestive of Bronchitis. That is the reas on you have persistent coughing without any running nose, sore throat.This Bronchitis can be allergic or even Infective. In case you have ongoing fever then you require antibiotics else you don’t. In such scenario I would advice you to get a complete Hemogram and Chest X-Ray done. If there is no sign of infection or Pneumonia your doctor will examine your chest. If there are any wheezes you may require nebulization with Salbutamol. You also need to take an anti allergic like Levocetrizine and Montelukast.In case wheezes are not severe you would just require oral Bronchdilators like Deriphylline or Doxophylline along with anti allergic drugs as mentioned above. In severe cases we treat out patients with oral steroids like Prednisolone for a short course.With the treatment Bronchitis responds within 5-7 days of Treatment.Share my opinion with your doctor.If you have any further query, please ask me.Stay Healthy.