I took 100 mg of topirmate yesterday as my doctor

Patient: I took 100 mg of topirmate yesterday as my doctor prescribed it to taper off another medication. I had very blurry vision all day. And this morning I literally woke up barely able to see at all. Is this medicine something that can cause permanent damage to vision? Is this all in my brain because I take it for seizures? And lastly is this a 911 situation? Sorry for any misspellings.

Symptoms: Blurred vision

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Yes, the commonest side effect s of Topiramate is slight dizziness followed by vision problems or blurry vision.However, there have been no such reported cases of severe damage to vision or any total vision loss. This effects settle down once the body gets used to the medicine. These side effects reduce in a weeks time.It could be because you’re worried about the side effects of the drug. Just wait for a couple of days, if the symptoms still persist, consult your physician and ask him if the dose can be tapered. Otherwise it should be fine.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.