Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I took 10mg valum then forgot about that then 45

I took 10mg valum then forgot about that then 45

Patient: I took 10mg valum then forgot about that then 45 minutes later I took 1.5 mg of Xanax. Do i need to worry about it mixing two prescriptions?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,Valium ( Diazepam) and Xanax ( alprazolam), both are benzodiaze pines and often used as sedatives in neuropsychiatric patients.Valium is used to treat the following conditions: Alcohol Withdrawal, Anxiety, Endoscopy or Radiology Premedication, Hyperekplexia, ICU Agitation, Light Anesthesia, Light Sedation, Meniere’s Disease, Muscle Spasm, Night Terrors, Seizure Prevention, Seizures, Status Epilepticus, Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, Tetanus.Xanax is used to treat the following conditions: Anxiety, Depression, Panic Disorder.There are no interactions between the two drugs as both belong to the same class of drugs. The only possible effect that you may experience would be increased sleepiness and sometimes mild nausea may be initiated. Apart from that no particular deleterious side effects or drug interactions are expected after accidentally taking both the drugs just 45 min apart.It is suggested that you don’t walk, drive, or involve in any mental activity following the medication and if possible try to sleep for at least 6 hrs before the effect can wear off naturally.I hope i have answered and addressed your concerns in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards