Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I took next choice one dose emergency contraceptive

I took next choice one dose emergency contraceptive

Patient: I took next choice one dose emergency contraceptive about two weeks ago, I had no bleeding or anything, & I am now 5 days late on my period. Could I be pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If you had taken an emergency contraceptive pill following intercourse, then you shoul d have ideally resumed your withdrawal bleeding within 7-10 day. but as you have crossed that period without any menses, then it is important to rule out pregnancy in this case as it may be a case of failed emergency contraception.You may perform a serum beta hCG test which is the gold standard for confirming or ruling put pregnancy for sure.I hope I have answered your query.Regards