I took prescription laxative Polyethylene Glycol The directi

Q: I took prescription laxative Polyethylene Glycol. The directions say it could take up to 2-4 days for me to have a bowel movement but I had one in less than an hour. Is this normal? Or is it possible my body reacts differently to the medicine somehow? Im 5'6" and am overweight at 250 lbs if that helps.

Symptoms:  Constipated

A:   Hi.

Polyethylene glycol is an osmotic laxative, meaning it absorbs and retains water in the bowel to make the stool soft and easily passable.
It is unlikely to be effective within just an hour. The passing of the stool may just be incidental.

Although you are overweight and the body may react differently to different medicine, motion within just one hour does not look to be possible.
If he problem persists next day / next time also, stop the medicine and call your Doctor for alternate laxative.

Hope this helps.