September 21, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I took some Valium last night and drank alcohol yesterday

I took some Valium last night and drank alcohol yesterday

Patient: I took some Valium last night and drank alcohol yesterday and today. How dangerous is this?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,It is actually not recommended consume alcohol with valium intak e. They do interact. Using diazepam( Valium) together with ethanol can increase nervous system side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with diazepam. Avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you.If you have taken 5mg valium then it shall not produce much of side effects, advise would be to increase your water intake to allow faster metabolism of alcohol from the body. If there exists persistent drowsiness then you may visit ER.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: I took about 30mg yesterday. So I am wondering if it is still in my system or if it is ok to to have a couple classes of wine.

Patient: I understand it is not recommended. I am just wondering how safe it is now since it has been about 24 hours from the Valium.

Doctor: 30mg is a good amount of dose which can anyhow cause drowsiness and with alcohol added , it can further potentiate the effect and can cause even delusions and excess sleepiness. The drug would stay in the body for 48 hrs before the effects shall decrease. So it is recommended to avoid alcohol completely for next 48 hrs at least and not repeat valium dose again. You should ideally be resting if any such effects are seen developing, and wine is not advisable at all for next 48 hrs.