Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I usually have a 46 day long cycle

I usually have a 46 day long cycle

Patient: I usually have a 46 day long cycle for my period but I am a week late and the last few days I have been having a bit of old dark bloody discharge not much it’s just noticeable when I wipe. I took a pregnancy test when I was 2 days late but it was negative. The only other symptom I have is I have been a bit tired lately. Could I be pregnant?and could the bleeding be implantation bleeding?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern. Irregularities in menstrual cycles can occur due to many cause s like lifestyle modifications, stress and strain, weight changes etc leading to gonadal hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes, thyroid hormonal imbalance etc.Dark color of the blood usually indicates collected blood in the uterus and possibly this spotting may turn into menstrual flow.As the urine pregnancy test kit gave a negative result, the possibility of pregnancy is less.If menstrual flow does not start in one week, better to consult your doctor once and get evaluated.By clinical examination, investigations like hormonal profile and ultrasound, the possibility of pregnancy can be ruled out and the possible cause of delayed periods can be identified and treated.Take care.