I usually have very heavy periods that last 7 days,

Q: I usually have very heavy periods that last 7 days, and my last one was very light, and only lasted 4 days. Now, 2 weeks later I am getting a brown discharge, it doesn't smell and there is no pain associated with it. And, it is not enough to wear a pad. I see it when I go to the bathroom. Could you tell me what is going on? Also my periods are like clockwork, so this is unusual for me. I am 37 years old.

A:   Hi,

Little bit of irregularity in periods can occur due to many causes.
Usually menstrual cycle with length of 21 days to 35 days and menstrual flow for 3 to 7 days can be considered as normal only.
Intermenstrual spotting can be seen due to causes like during ovulation or in other days due to gonadal hormonal imbalance, side effects of the hormonal contraceptive methods, pelvic inflammatory disease presenting with cervical erosion, cervical polyp, post coital bleeding, in case of pregnancy implantation bleeding etc. If the spotting persists or repeats better to consult your doctor once and get examined.
By examination causes like post coital tear, cervical erosion, cervical polyp etc can be ruled out.
If your doctor recommends go for ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile etc.
Ultrasound will help in ruling out the possibility of pregnancy and also any endometrial abnormality.
Hormonal profile helps in finding out hormonal imbalance.
Then with your doctor's advice you can take treatment according to the cause of your problem.

Take care