I visited my doctor on tuesday as I have had

Patient: I visited my doctor on tuesday as I have had bloody / mucus diarrhoea for 2 weeks. Knowing that my father has ulcerative colitis they suspect that and I am awaiting a hospital appt for colonoscopy. In the meantime they have prescribed me 250mg amoxicillin and 400mg metronidazole 3 times daily. It’s almost been 3 days and I feel worse. Diahorrea very bad and bad cramps too which I didn’t really have before. Shall I book an appt to see doctor or wait until next week which seems like a long time away right now.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.This can be Acute Infective Diarrhea/ Acute Gastro-Enteritis. Bu t possibility of ulcerative colitis needs to be ruled out. Amoxycillin that have been prescribed to you also causes loose motions, so your problem worsened with amoxicillin.Infective Diarrhea responds to treatment within 5 days of antibiotics like Ofloxacin and Ornidazole. I also add a combination of Pantoprazole and to my patients. You should also take Probiotics containing Lactobacillus which helps a lot. You should also maintain proper hydration. You can take Oral Rehydration syrup (ORS) for the purpose of re-hydration.If your problem doesn’t resolve, you would require a colonoscopy.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy

View all posts