Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I want to know if i should go to the emergency room

I want to know if i should go to the emergency room

Patient: I think I tore my meniscus when I ran I felt a pop in my knee ….. And right after that it started swelling and hurting and have new pains

Symptoms: Knee swollen and in the back of the knee

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have injured your meniscus or possibly the ligaments of your kn ee such as the ACL or MCL. The popping sound and swelling that you experienced may support this diagnosis however, further testing and and MRI needs to be performed to be certain of this. it is important that you apply ice to your knee to reduce the swelling and inflammation, and try to take weight off your knee by not standing on it. Please report to your nearest emergency room if you do not have a family doctor. They will perform all the necessary diagnostic imaging needed to determine severity of your injury. Once the exact injury is pinpointed, you will be given the appropriate treatment options. We hope the injury is not so serious that it requires surgery. Part of your treatment may include rest and undergoing physiotherapy sessions to rehabilitate your knee. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com