October 16, 2018

I want to make sure I’m okay

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I want to make sure I’m okay

Patient: I was having sex with my boyfriend and i been gone from him in months so when had sex and it hurt after sex i went to the bathroom and it was hurting to use it i took a picture of and it look like a cut what does this mean

Symptoms: Light blood
When i used the bathroom it was burning



Doctor: Hello,It is evident from the history that you have been sexually inactive for quite some time and when you had sex wi th your partner , then you have suffered vaginal abrasions or lacerations which bled. These abrasions are possible when there is lack of adequate lubrication in the vagina before or during intercourse causing frictional injury to the vaginal mucosa.This cut/ laceration would burn on cleaning and the only way to treat is to allow self healing and application of petroleum jelly inside the vagina over the lesion thrice a day for at least 5 days. It should heal by then. Also important is to avoid intercourse during this period of treatment for adequate healing.I hope i have answered your query,wishing you good health,regards

Was this answer helpful?


Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment