I was 5 days late starting my last period which

Q: I was 5 days late starting my last period which is very unusual because I normally have an "exact day around the exsct time' regular cycle. I took a pregnancy test before starting and it was negative. My period is normally 4-5 days long but this one lasted 7 full days and two days of brownish spotting. Today was the first without spotting, and my husband and I had intercourse. After sex, there was a considerable amount of light pink blood on the sheets. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Symptoms:  Abnormal bleeding

A:   Hi,

Usually menstrual cycle with length of 21 to 35 days and menstrual flow for duration of 3 to 7 days can be considered as normal.
As your periods was little bit delayed that might be one possible cause for prolonged bleeding.
Your spotting after intercourse can be due to causes like prolonged menstrual flow due to hormonal imbalance, postcoital tear, local causes like cervical erosion etc.
Usually minimal spotting may subside soon. If persists or irregularity of periods repeats, please consult your doctor and get evaluated.

Take care