I was a smoker for 20 years 6 weeks ago

Q: I was a smoker for 20 years 6 weeks ago I quit for the past few weeks when I get up in the morning every morning my spit is brown and red

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Read and understood your history of quitting smoking and then appearance of brown and red spit every morning.
This is indicative that the mucosa is getting adjusted to the new environment of not having the irritant '' the smoke'' and this may be the reason for this appearance.
A bronchoscopy is highly advised with or without CT scan of the neck and chest.
All this is just to make sure that normal transitional changes are there and nothing serious has been creeping up.

Take an opinion of an ENT also.