I was bitten by a dog 30 days ago

Q: I was bitten by a dog 30 days ago. The owner has not yet provided me with the dogs shot records nor has animal control done anything; I am still waiting after 30 days. I no longer have any symptoms but I am worried I could potentially have Rabies. Could I have Rabies with no symptoms?

Symptoms:  I do not currently have any symptoms. However, I had head ache, neck and lower back aching, slight fever and nausea for 2 days several days after I was bitten.

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Observe the dog. If the dog did not get any symptoms of rabies or die, then you are safe. It is very difficult to take prophylaxis after 30 days. Also, recommend that you get the dog vaccinated now. Do see a Doctor to check for rabies if you are suspecting it. Infection after the bite can be due to any viral infection. Wishing you the best.

Hope this helps you.