I was cutting into the base an old rotting stump

Patient

Q: I was cutting into the base an old rotting stump with a chain saw last Sunday. I inhaled something through my nose that came from the stump. I started coughing immediately and could stop until I got some water. I woke up the next morning congested and it has been getting progressively worse. Now it's day five. I have unbearable sinus pressure, ears hurt, headache and feel feverish. Please help

Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

The most common possibility in such case scenario is development of Allergic Bronchitis or Rhinitis that is due to the inhalation of foreign Particle.

Now the possibility of infection is also there the reason being that you are getting fever.
In such scenario you should get a Chest X-Ray and Complete blood count done to rule out any evidence of Pneumonia.

You should be started on a good antibiotic like Azithromycin or Levofloxacin for the same.
An anti Allergic like Levocetrizine and Montelukast for the same.
If there is severe chest congestion you might require steroids like Prednisolone for a short course.
So you need to see your doctor and get's prescription.

Till then do steam inhalation and take anti Allergic OTC cough syrups like Benadryl for symptomatic relief.
I hope my answer helped you.

If you have any further query, please ask me.
Wish you a speedy recovery.