I was diagnosed two times with mucuplurent cervitis

Q: I was diagnosed two times with mucuplurent cervitis (excuse my spelling) and each time I came back negative for all stds including gonnorhea and chalymydia. I think I have it again. My question is is mucuplurent cervitis necessarily an std or can it be caused by something else? I have an iud (mirena) could the bacteria still be lingering on it and causing it to come back? Should I get my iud removed?

Thanks for the query,

Mucopurulent cervicitis is infection of the cervix which can be bacterial or fungal in nature. If the STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhoea have been ruled out then it is necessary that a pap smear culture needs to be done to isolate the causative organism. With MIRENA IUD in situ , generally cervical erosions are common over cervical mouth due to progesterone effect induced cervical softness and possible local injuries over cervix due to friction following intercourse which can later exhibit infection and excessive vaginal discharge which may often be blood tinged or mucopurulent. Ideally a course of antibiotics should be taken for 10 days for complete treatment for the same depending on the sensitivity pattern of the organism isolated and to make sure that intercourse is avoided. Your concern about IUD thread harbouring bacteria is a likely, but that can also be taken care off by an antibiotic course and apple vinegar based vaginal washes.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,

Wishing you good health,