Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was diagnosed with a upper respiratory infection the Wedne

I was diagnosed with a upper respiratory infection the Wedne

Patient: I was diagnosed with a upper respiratory infection the Wednesday before last. I was given a steroid shot and a pink pill form of an antibiotic. Some of my symptoms have gone away and others have changed. I have been eating peppermint Altoids because I heard they can aid in breaking up mucus & have also been taking DayQuil and NyQuil. My cough is a dry, persistent, barking cough. I often get in coughing fits that I can’t stop. My mucus has gone from bright green to thick, white/clear, clumpy, stringy/sticky. Also, my joints and body aches all day. I’m wondering whether my body is fighting it or whether it’s getting worse and turning into pneumonia or bronchitis.

Symptoms: Wheezing, coughing, mucus, body aches

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor. I have read your query and understand your concern.You seem to be suffering from a ny of the following either Bronchitis or a Lower respiratory tract infection.I would advise in such scenario to get a hemogram with ESR and Chest- Xray done. If the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Bronchial Asthma / Bronchitis. Treatment constitutes anti-allergic drugs like Levocetirizine and Montelukast and in severe cases inhalers containing like Salbutamol and Steroid inhaler like Budesonide.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Get well soon.Stay Healthy.