I was diagnosed with HSV-1 genitally and all my sores

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with HSV-1 genitally and all my sores had closed up and looked healed so I thought it was safe to have sex, I did, and the day after I did I got itching again, the next day my sores opened back up and are stinging. I am still on valtrex every 8 hours. Also, my boyfriend has HSV-2 but is on valtrex, what is the probability that this is a new HSV-2 infection or just an aggravated recurrence of my healed HSV-1 infection?

Symptoms:  Itching and stinging of vagina, old herpes sores re-opening
Doctor

A:   Thanks for your question.

Once a person becomes infected with a herpes virus, the virus never leaves the body. After the first outbreak, the virus moves from the skin cells to nerve cells. The virus stays in the nerve cells forever. But it usually just stays there. In this stage, the virus is said to be dormant, or asleep. But it can become active again. Some things that can trigger (wake up) the virus are: Stress, Illness, Fever, Sun, exposure, Menstrual periods, Surgery.
You can get genital herpes after coming into contact with HSV-1 or HSV-2. Most people get genital herpes from HSV-2, which they get during sex. If someone has a cold sore and performs oral sex, this can spread HSV-1 to the genitals — and cause herpes sores on the genitals.

Hope this helps