I was diagnosed with low red blood cells hematocrit, hemoglo

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with low red blood cells hematocrit, hemoglobin. Was told 2 pints low blood. Experiencing shortness of breath. Went to emergency room pulmonary wise things were good. No labs were taken. Should i go back to er or wait til dr appt next Tuesday? This shortness of breath is uncomfortable and interferes with sleep. Is anemia worsening?

Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

Breathlessness is caused in cases of severe anemia. You have not mentioned your Hemoglobin value so it's difficult for me to comment whether the breathlessness is due to anemia or not.

We usually see breathlessness in anemia where Hemoglobin is less than 8 gm/dl.
Mild anemia will just cause tiredness.

Now if your pulmonary status is clear as examined and told to you by your doctor so either the breathlessness is due to any cardiac issue or anemia.
Check on yourself. If you are uncomfortable, severe breathlessness is there associated with swelling on both legs then there is a requirement for an emergency visit and admission.

If you are comfortable, with occasional episodes of breathlessness then you don't need to rush to emergency. Just try to seek appointment from your primary care physician as soon as possible.
I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.