Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 months

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 months

Patient: I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 months ago. For 2 weeks now, I have had a feeling of fullness in my stomach after eating just a little food, with a lot of gas, a burning pain in my stomach, and sometimes nausea after I eat. Is this diabetic gastroparesis, Helicobacter Pylori, or something else?

Symptoms: Early satieity after eating a little food, a lot of gas, burning pain in my stomach after eating, and sometimes nausea after eating. The nausea is relieved by belching. The medicines I have a tried are simethicone and activated charcoal for the gas and Gaviscon antacid tablets. All of these medicines help the symptoms. My recent A1C is 7.0 and I take metformin for type 2 diabetes. What could this be? Diabetic gastroparesis, Helicobacter Pylori, or something else?

Doctor: Hello,Sorry to know about your problems.Please mention your age. Causes of upper abdominal discomfort are:-Pepti c ulcer disease(commonly H pylori related)-Gall stones-Gastroparesis ( related to diabetes, thyroid disorders)-Rarely pancreatic disorders.It is difficult to pinpoint the exact cause without evaluation. I recommend you to meet a physician for a detailed examination.You may require an endoscopy and other investigations like ultrasound abdomen. Meanwhile take plenty of fluids.Avoid spicy food /excess tea and coffee /carbonated drinks/ smoking and alcohol consumption.They tend to worsen peptic ulcer symptoms.Continue Simethicone,charcoal and gaviscon.Please post follow up with your reports.Hope this information helpsWishing you a quick recovery.Regards

Patient: You asked for my age. I am 57 years.

Doctor: Ok,
If the problem persists meet your physician for a detailed evaluation.